FLESHKILLER - AWAKEN

Fleshkiller - Awaken (2017)



I can´t believe it is already four years ago this was released. I was excited when I heard that Ole will do yet another metal album after the reunion with the Extol guys. If it´s not Extol and it is metal, what can we expect? Well I knew that Ole is exceptional at writing interesting riffs. Ok let’s get this over with straight off the bat. This production is massive and so pleasing to my ears. I love the heavy, full, yet very balanced mix we hear with Jack Daniels behind the wheel. Really dig the mix on this album. This is a top-notch production fighting in the big league. Thinking, oh how I wish Extols ‘Burial and ‘Undeceived’ would´ve had similar productions. Now I´m not putting my head at stake but I think I’m hearing a modeler of some sort on the rhythm guitars. My guess would be Axe fx or Kemper. I enjoy the rhythm sound but at times I find myself stating, yeah this must be a modeler. I might be wrong though, but you can usually tell the way the upper frequencies behave and sound. But still sounds very good and works in the mix. A very full and saturated sound.

The only minor con I’d give out of an engineer’s perspective is, that the drum-mix is reversed. I prefer to hear the drum-mix as if I would sit behind the kit myself (being a "I used to be a drummer" guy). Unless the drummer isn´t a lefty but from what I recall he wasn´t. One more thing, this is just a wish. I wish the drummer would´ve used a heavier ride with a more distinct pingy ride. Like the drummer in Gojira uses, or David on Extols ‘Synergy’ album, which i think is a Zildjian "Earth" ride, if not then very similar at least. But all in all the playing and the performances of everyone is just top-notch. The guitar tracking is superb and on point. Why I note the guitars, well it´s more common that bands correct drums, everybody does that to some extent and it´s not easy to tell if the drummer actually is that tight or not. A decent enough drummer can be fixed into sounding quite spot on. But that has its limits as well of course. But one can often determine how good a drummer really is by judging his technique and overall playing style, that can get you pretty far. In my opinion the drummer here is without a doubt good drummer, just to clarify that. BUT drums are more common to be edited and fixed than guitars in my experience. So I assume coming from that standing point that the guitars are tracked very well, super tight playing and really inspiring to listen to. Makes me wanna grab my guitar and go practise.
Well enough about the mix and tech stuff, what about the actual music on the "Awaken" album?



The opening track kicks in with a driven upbeat with the familiar usage of harmonies. Very signature trademark type of riffing from none other than Ole Börud. One could easily think that this is a new Extol album. I don´t know what it is cause usually I’m not a fan of this happy vibe in metal but when Ole writes his riffs they sort of work and the tonality and usage of harmonies is so unique and I just find myself enjoying it a lot. On vocals we have Elisha Mullins (The Burial) and this was the first time I heard Elisha and I thought, who is this guy, why haven´t I heard him before, this guy sounds really good. And yes, every time I put on this album I´m enjoying his vocals so much. He is truly a versatile vocalist covering a nice spectrum with his awesome low-end growl up to some really tasty midrange growls. He has become one of my favorites. 

‘Salt of the earth’ at 0:30 has this riff I´m so envious of. It´s so basic but man I wish I came up with that riff. The album contains a lot of cool riffing and the drumming is so tasteful. Personally, I have always enjoyed Ole´s clean vocals and I think the way they are implemented on this album is very unique and stands out. Not the typical clean vocals one would expect in technical death metal like one hears in ‘Wisdom’ or ‘Secret garden’. I think the whole album is full of cool and “cleaver” moments if you will, with a lot of attention to these extra details. The balance between really intricate technical riffing and heavy pounding passages is so tastefully done. This is however not an easy album to digest with just one spin if one thinks of remembering parts and songs but that is at the same time what´s good about it from a personal point of view. It challenges me and keeps me wanting to come back for more.

Really dig the lyrics as well, well written and one of my favourite passages is in ‘True living’ 

“Living One. You hold the keys of death.
Royal blood. You shed for all mankind.
The Alpha. Before all things You were.
Omega. After all You’ll still reign.”

One thing that did not come through that much in Extol is what an amazing lead guitarist Ole is. He pulls off some really tasteful licks in ‘Window of time’ as an example. Ole is truly an amazing musician knowing his career both in the mainstream music arena and the metal scene. He´s without a doubt a powerhouse.

All in all, I´d score this album very high with its complex multifaceted song structures that will not leave you empty handed. Here´s something for everyone, good drumming, cool riffs, awesome vocals. For friends of technical melodic death, this is definitely something one should check out. However at the same time I think this is a album that divides, for some I think it´s a lot to digest when it´s not this plain straightforward type of riffing and there´s alot of things happening and might be a bit too “progressive” in lack for better terms. But for those who enjoys a more technical progressive approach to song structures this is definitely worth checking out. Like I stated with the band “The Burial” it´s likewise a shame that Spotify shows a meager 200k as their most played song. It´s truly a shame and they deserve more attention. Really hoping there would come a new album in the near future.  

https://open.spotify.com/album/7plbIJHcUfzPmkah4AjOYU?si=b_5pN71pTs2lS4LD_Nt1lw




 


Comments

Popular Posts